Sunday, January 17, 2010

Importance of HIV/AIDS Awareness

“Stigma and discrimination associated with AIDS delays treatment and care for HIV-positive people, and prevents people coming forward for testing."

"Realization of Human Rights and fundamental freedoms for all is essential to reduce vulnerability to HIV/AIDS. Respect for the rights of people living with HIV/AIDS drives an effective response."
-Declaration of Commitment adopted at the United Nations General Assembly Special Session on HIV/AIDS, June 2001

Stigma related to HIV/AIDS has unfortunately become a great barrier to HIV treatment and prevention in the developing world. The stigma surrounding HIV makes people much more skeptical to reveal their status, and it also makes it difficult to manage the spread of the pandemic. People can be so afraid of being stigmatized that they are unwilling to admit they have the disease; therefore, they cannot take the steps necessary to overcome it. People often refuse to be tested so they do not have to reveal their status to anyone. Some might try to hide the fact that they are receiving treatment, or inconsistently consume medication, or just refuse treatment entirely. Many HIV + people refuse to use preventative methods that avoid further infections, such as using condoms, in fear that partners/others will assume they have the disease.

Stigma can lead to many challenges in developing countries. People who are discriminated against because of HIV/AIDS are often shunned from their communities. They can lose their jobs, be kicked out of school, and/or be abandoned by their partners and their families. HIV/AIDS is often negatively associated with prostitution, drug-use, and promiscuity, so societies may look at the disease as punishment for these sorts of behavior.

Without ever-increasing public awareness about how HIV is transmitted and how it can be managed, the epidemic will continue to spiral out of control. When the facts of HIV/AIDS are openly discussed within groups of people in communities, cities, nations,and on a global scale, all people can understand the facts and this can dramatically reduce its stigma.

1 comment:

  1. I am indeed very happy for my life; My name is Vargas cynthia maye, I never thought that I will live on earth before the year runs out. I have been suffering from a deadly disease (HIV) for the past 5 years now; I had spent a lot of money going from one places to another, from churches to churches, hospitals have been my every day residence. Constant checks up have been my hobby not until last Month, I was searching through the internet, I saw a testimony on how DR. Ben helped someone in curing her HIV disease, quickly I copied his email which is (drbenharbalhome@gmail.com).I spoke to him, he asked me to do some certain things which I did, he told me that he is going to provide the herbal to me, which he did, then he asked me to go for medical checkup after some days after using the herbal cure, I was free from the deadly disease, he only asked me to post the testimony through the whole world, faithfully am doing it now, please brothers and sisters, he is great, I owe him in my life. if you are having a similar problems just email him on (drbenharbalhome@gmail.com) or simply whatsapp him on: +2348144631509.He can also cure disease like Cancer, Diabeties, Herpes. Etc. You can reach me on email: vargascynthiamaye1995@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete