Sunday, January 3, 2010

Women and Girls: Disproportionately Vulnerable to HIV/AIDS

While doing a little background reading before I leave, I read Stephen Lewis' Race Against Time. In one of his lectures, he discusses how in sub-Saharan Africa, women represent 60% of the people living with the virus. We have still been unable to overcome the disproportionate vulnerability of women to the virus. Not only is the prevalence of HIV infection highest among women and girls, but they also take on the responsibilities for caring for the sick and the orphaned, ontop of providing food and childcare for their own households. Very little seems to have been done to "protect them from sexual aggression and violence, ease their burdens or support their coping and caring efforts". There is a need for urgent action to respond to the pandemic's effects on women and girls; for these people, day-to-day is seen as a matter of life or death. There are countless millions with a death sentence hanging over their heads because of HIV/AIDS infections and poverty!

There is a constant struggle for women's human rights in Africa. As far as I can see, the governments in Africa have done very poorly in the protection of women's rights. The inequality between women and men is obscene and unjust! However, there are some non-governmental organizations that are struggling and putting up a fight for the status of women in their communities.

Kivulini Women’s Rights Organization


Kivulini Women’s Rights Organization is a registered Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) founded in 1999 based in Mwanza, Tanzania. Kivulini’s mission is to work with the community to advocate for women’s rights. Kivulini is intensifying its efforts on mobilizing communities to prevent domestic violence against women. This vision of creating violence free communities is linked with women’s economic empowerment to reduce dependency and contribute to family income. When a woman is aware of her rights in the community and is economically independent, she does not only improve her health and socio-economic position, but is also able to contribute more fully to the development of her community as a whole. Kivulini program efforts are contributing to The National Strategy for Economic Growth and Reduction of Poverty (MKUKUTA). Overall, Kivulini aims to break women in Mwanza from circle of poverty, violence and abuse.

For the past 7 years, Kivulini, in collaboration with the University of Western Ontario, has designed a project on production of probiotic yogurt that has started providing a new source of income for women in Mwanza, while contributing to the general health of children and adults. The Tanzanian National Institute of Medical Research (NIMR – Mwanza), is supporting the project.

Tukwamuane Women’s Group (TWG)

Tukwamuane is Swahili for "women working together to eliminate poverty". Twelve women ("Yogurt Mamas") from the Mwanza community formed this group to act as the main producers and distributors of the probiotic yogurt. Since WHE’s inauguration, Western's student interns have worked alongside these women to help develop the project further. Some of the mamas have studied business processes (Accounting, Financing etc.) through Kivulini and take care of the project records and profits from the yogurt.

After various stages of development and planning, the TWG is now liscenced as Non-Governmental Organization in Tanzania. They have come a long way since WHE began working with them in 2004. These hard-working women continue to provide inspiration and economic support for the local community. They have recieved a lot of attention from the Canadian and Tanzanian governments and were officially recognized by the Tanzanian government with an award for AIDS intervention work on Tanzanian Independence Day (December 9, 2008). The Tukwamuane Women's Group truly embodies the empowerment of women, which is vital to the continued development of communities devastated by AIDS and povery.

3 comments:

  1. I was a HIV-AIDS patient and I got it from cheating on my husband. It was sort of a payback but a week later I was told by a friend that the person who I cheated with had the HIV-AIDS virus and did not tell me. I was so stupid by not using a condom I thought since he was an old school friend he
    was trustworthy. But I was wrong. I cried and cried. Two days later, I got a phone call from my friend and she told me about a person who is known by another friend, who can help me. I could not let my husband know what I was going through. I finally got his email address: spiritualherbalisthealers@gmail.com and I text this man my story and he replied me immediately saying i should be calm and told me that everything will be OK.I could not come to terms with what I was hearing but then I concluded it did not matter because I was so broken up I just needed help. I was going out of my mind literally. I was confused with what he was telling me, but I listened. He told me about some materials i need to buy that he needed to cast the spell and I said OK. I bought the materials to him, I sent down my picture to him and my positive result sheet and he replied me that i am going to be negative under 3days.I message Him every 2hours for 2day and I knew he thought that I was crazy but I did care I needed a shoulder. Behold, the third day he messaged me i should go for a test that i will be negative. My marriage could be broken
    because of a stupid mistake and my life was on the line. I remembered when I was going to get the results of my re-test I called him up again and told him that I was going to get my results today and his reply was “so" and that everything will be as he explained. I knew then that he was getting tired of me calling him, maybe I was wrong. Well I got my results and the first person I
    called up was him - again. As he said hello I started to cry and cry. I could not believe it. I was given a second chance in life.This man is a great spiritual HIV/AIDS healer,his healing spell on aids healing is very powerful .please brothers and sister, contact Dr Zuma zuk spiritualherbalisthealers@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good day My Name is Mary Robert i am here to share a great testimony of my life i was cure from HIV by a Doctor Name DR CUBA i have been HIV for 5 year i saw doctor Email on the internet so i contact him and i explain to him i follow up the instruction behold 6 days later after taking the cure i went for a HIV text to my surprise it was Negative my family doctor was surprise my husband who abandon me was surprise my brother if you no that you are positive please i will advise you to contact him now and see for your self his Email is drcubatemple@gmail.com why is website is......[ www.dr-cubatemple.webs.com] and also you can contact him on whatsapp +2347038965900

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am indeed very happy for my life; My name is Vargas cynthia maye, I never thought that I will live on earth before the year runs out. I have been suffering from a deadly disease (HIV) for the past 5 years now; I had spent a lot of money going from one places to another, from churches to churches, hospitals have been my every day residence. Constant checks up have been my hobby not until last Month, I was searching through the internet, I saw a testimony on how DR. Ben helped someone in curing her HIV disease, quickly I copied his email which is (drbenharbalhome@gmail.com).I spoke to him, he asked me to do some certain things which I did, he told me that he is going to provide the herbal to me, which he did, then he asked me to go for medical checkup after some days after using the herbal cure, I was free from the deadly disease, he only asked me to post the testimony through the whole world, faithfully am doing it now, please brothers and sisters, he is great, I owe him in my life. if you are having a similar problems just email him on (drbenharbalhome@gmail.com) or simply whatsapp him on: +2348144631509.He can also cure disease like Cancer, Diabeties, Herpes. Etc. You can reach me on email: vargascynthiamaye1995@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete